Roasted Tomato chutney is kind of a sweet and savory sauce recipe, originates from the Indian subcontinent that is made with tomatoes as the main ingredient. It is also called as tamatar chutney, tomato pachadi in regional languages. The tomatoes can be crushed, or pulped, and other popular ingredients include ginger, chili, sugar, salt, aam papad, raisin, dates, and spices, as well as onion, garlic, and peanut or dal for the south Indian variety. Depending upon your taste you ma adjust the ingredients. But in this recipe we will only use roasted tamatar with chili and garlic.
Roasted Tomato Chutney
- mortar and pestle
- 4 large ripe tomatoes (tamatar)
- 1 large green tomato
- 5-6 cloves garlic (lehsun)
- 1 green chili
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro (dhania leaves) coarsely chopped
- To begin, wash the tomatoes under running water. They must be absolutely dry. Now, turn on the gas stove to medium-high, place a grill over flame and heat it a bit.
- Place the tomatoes over the grill with the help of fire tongs and roast until they are charred all over. Turn them every now and then to ensure even charring. Maintain medium flame to ensure proper cooking from inside. High flame can even rupture the tomatoes.
- After the tomatoes have been roasted, remove them from the grill and set aside for 10 minutes and let it cool a bit under fan. Remove the burnt tomato peels. Mash the pulp with your finger tips or a fork in a bowl. It should have faint chunky texture.
- Grind the garlic and chili to a fine paste in a mortar and pestle. Combine this paste with the crushed tomatoes , then add the salt and cilantro and blend well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.