Rasmali is a traditional Indian dessert. With goodness dry fruits, this recipe is purely made out of milk. In condensed milk discs or balls made of paneer (chenna) is added into it. The yellowish color in ras malai comes from “kesar” (saffron). It won’t be wrong to call it “Shahi dessert”.
Kesar rasmalai | how to make rasmalai at home
- kitchen towel
- 4½ cups whole milk (दूध) - use full fat milk for best results
- 1 lemon's juice (नींबू का रस)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp saffron threads, (केसर) - soaked in (30 ml) warm milk
- 5 green cardamoms pods, (हरी इलायची) - skin removed and seeds pounded into powder
- pistachios, (पिसता) - chopped into thin slivers (for garnish)
- fresh rose petals (for garnish) (गुलाब की पंखुड़ियाँ)
- Handful of chopped dry fruits
- Bring the milk to a boil in a big, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat to prepare the chenna. When it reaches a boil, lower to a low heat and add the lemon juice. After approximately ten minutes, drain the milk through a sieve. Rinse the chenna well with water and set it aside for 20 minutes to drain all of the liquid. Squeeze out any residual water using your hands. Place the chenna in a large mixing dish.
- Add the cornstarch to the thickened chenna and knead for 12 minutes, or until perfectly smooth. Roll them into smooth balls, approximate size of ping pong balls.
- Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a big saucepan over high heat to produce the syrup. Cook for 15 minutes after gently placing the balls in the boiling syrup.
- Meanwhile the balls are being cooked, prepare the rasmalai. Combine the milk, sugar, saffron-milk combination, and cardamom in a medium saucepan over low heat and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the milk has reduced by nearly half. Also add desired dry fruits, i personally love resins, cashews, pista etc.
- Gently remove the chenna balls out of the syrup, which should have doubled in size by now, and squeeze and gently flatten them. Put them in thickened milk (rasmalai). Chill it in the refrigerator overnight. Immediately before serving, garnish with pistachios and rose petals.