Bhindi & aloo ka salan recipe is from Hyderabadi cuisine. In this recipe, bhindi is basically okra or lady’s finger while salan means gravy. So it wont be wrong to call is a okara/lady finger & potato gravy. Bhindi is usually eaten in dry form but this aloo bhindi recipe is in tangy gravy form sabji. Recipesbrand always try to make easy recipes for our viewers. Don’t forget to check more vegetarian recipes.
Bhindi Aur Aloo Ka Salan Recipe | Recipesbrand
- Frying Pan
- Chopping Board
- Paper napkin
- 250 gms small lady's finger, keeping it whole, make a slit in middle
- 2 potatoes-each cut into 4 pieces into thin slices
- 6-8 green chilies-slit slightly
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds(jeera)
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds(methi dana)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp nigella seeds(kalonji)
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp chilly powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp tamarind pulp made from small lemon size ball of tamarind
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
Dry Roast And Grind To Powder
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 dry red kashmiri chilies
Grind to a Paste
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 inch ginger piece
- 6-8 flakes garlic
- 3 tbsp grated coconut
- Heat oil in a frying pan , fry lady’s finger on high heat for 3-4 minutes till soft and green. Do not let it turn brown and do not fry on low heat as it will turn chewy on doing so. Remove lady fingers from oil and add the potatoes to the oil. Fry on medium low heat till light golden and cooked.
- Shut off the flame. Add green chilies and fry till whitish patches appear on them. Remove all vegetables from oil on paper napkins to absorb excess oil.
- Dry roast peanuts, sesame seeds, cumin seeds and red chilies in a non stick pan till sesame seeds turn golden brown. Cool and grind together to a very fine powder.
- Make a smooth paste with all the ingredients of the paste i.e onion, tomato, ginger, garlic and coconut. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, carom seeds and nigella seeds. Wait till fenugreek seeds turn golden brown. Add curry leaves. Wait for a minutes.
- Add the ground tomato-onion paste and cook for 8-10 minutes till well cooked, dry and oil separates. Add turmeric, chilly powder,coriander powder and salt.
- Add the ground powder and cook again on mediumflame for 1 minute.
- Add 2½ cups of water, bring to a boil. Give 2-3boils. Add 4 tbsp tamarind pulp. Keep curry aside.
- To serve, heat curry. Add the fried vegetableand simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add coriander leaves and serve hot with steamedrice.